Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Pride of Dublin

The pride of Dublin and INDO ranked Irish number one Gareth Gray came through the Irish qualifiers for the World Grand Prix on Sunday. Expectations have been high around the Liffey for Gareth in recent times but I myself am not convinced and will look forward to how he’ll handle the TV cameras when they come on him. Gareth is a decent lad and I would however like to congratulate him on his qualification as it is no mean feat to come through any qualifier. Getting through to the citywest with Gareth is another Dubliner in the name of Anto McCracken. Anto has been the nearly man of darts for the last 10 years and although his self proclaimed class I think he will find it tough when the lights come on. Both Gray and McCracken played Wozza in an exhibition match last January in Lucan with both going down. Gray 4.2 and McCracken 4.0. Alan Byrne who is the team captain of the pub where both lads play out of was over the moon on Sunday night and I must say I was over the moon for him. He puts in huge work and like myself doesn’t play and he’ll be beaming from ear to ear on the 23rd October at Citywest.

 

Geoffrey Matthews and Paul Watton also came through. Both of these were surprises to be honest. Gray and McCracken were not great surprises. Well Gray wasn’t anyway but I must say these 2 guys were. Matthews who is a nephew of Geoff Wylie came off a board with Jack McKenna, Benny Sent from Grace, Mick McGowan and Joe Collins so clearly he played well as he ended Tom Kirby’s quest along the way too. Shock of the day was Irish Open Classic Winner Mick McGowan going out to a complete nobody whose dress code let a lot to be desired. Best of luck to all of you anyway lads and the draw is live on Sky Sports News next week so all we can do now is wait and see. Nice to see Waterford’s number one flop again.

 

A few weeks ago I wrote about 3 lads from Tramore who I thought might make some sort of impact in the Irish game and maybe even more further adrift if they put there mind to it but I’m now changing that to 2 people at best. The reason for this is one of them is actually cocky being one of the best in Tramore and that’s laughable so I’m changing it to 2. If you’re cocky about your game in Tramore without giving the country game ago you are wasting your time. It’s that simple. Everybody is entitled to do what they wish I know but if you love the game so much you should play it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Said Keoghan,
Tramore Darts were never to fond of you anyway but you are dead right. Dont forget me in the City West.

Anonymous said...

Correct me if i am wrong but was it not waterfords no 1 who gave your boyfriend a pasting in a little village called portlaw ,