Thursday, August 17, 2006

Idiots

It’s amazing really. Had a call last night from a bar in Castlebar, Co. Mayo which is where next months Irish Open classic is on. It is a category 1 tournament which has been won by Taylor in the last 2 years so as you can tell all the top players will be there. This guy rang me last night about an exhibition for Harvey and Warriner on Friday 8th. (Which is the day before the tournament starts). This jolly old fool was a chancer. When I gave him the price which was discounted because the players would be hear anyway for Jamie, Alan and both together he says “shouldn’t it be cheaper considering they are hear anyway”. What an idiot I thought. Must have thought I came down in the last shower. I’m sure when he got off the phone to me he was onto someone else to see would they play for the shameless price he was offering and you know what? I bet you he’ll get a top 32 player to do it. Not any of my players though as this fellow is a joke. He sounded like he was about 90, an old fashioned publican afraid of his life to pay for something. I’ve made a €5 bet with my girlfriend that he’ll have a top 32 player on this night. Some dart players are mad like that. Every penny counts. What they don’t realise especially in Ireland, if you drop your price once word travels around the small country that it is Ireland and the next offer he’ll have from here will probably be less so I’ll wait and see who plays there that night…..I know who my money is on. This guy bored me so much I went back to watching Wales V Bulgaria which was oozing boredom of the highest degree. It finished 0.0 so that says it all. Before I go just tell you one more thing about the publican. When he realised he wasn’t going to get any of my players his brass neck tightened up and he offered for myself and Wozza to “drop in” (to his pub I presume)on our way back from Ballina from our Thursday exhibition for a cup of coffee/tea and a sandwich….on him.So he can get a photo to hang on the wall with the other player he said he had. I’ll say it again…..What an idiot. Anyone reading this from Ireland can get a great picture of this guy because I have my own picture of him. Should have another bet. €5 that this guy will be up in Croke Park on Sunday for the Laois V Mayo replay with a lump of Mayonnaise on the side of his jaw after one of his infamous sandwiches up on Hill 16.


On a lighter note. Spoke to Sid Waddell on Monday night last and he was asking about my mate Nailer (see picture). Nailer came to Blackpool with me last year for the World Matchplay and to sample the Candy Floss. One night in particular he had a few too many and decided to get Sid to sign the cast on his broken arm which Sid did no problem. Since then though Nail has been annoying poor Sid and even went out and twisted his ankle a few weeks later on purpose so he could get Sid to sign his bandage.
Nailer
The picture (attached) is up in the players bar at all the tournaments now and Nailer has been barred until further notice. He should be re instated though before the Grand Prix 2006 providing he behaves himself and conducts himself in an orderly fashion.

No comments: