Thursday, August 17, 2006

Make a wish foundation

After that 4.0 drubbing I've just witnessed at the hands of Van Basten and co I'm glad to write this and get away from the TV screen. A shocking showing and we'll know we're alive in Germany in 2 weeks time if we play like that. Yesterday though I got a letter in the post related to a charity raffle a few weeks ago. The O Reagan family in Waterford city suffered great loss when a fire struck their home killing the Mam, Dad and the baby of the family leaving just 2 small kids behind. Like many others in Waterford my local pub back home decided to run a raffle to donate what they could to the cause so in Bolton at the UK Open I handed around a shirt and the top 32 players in the world including tournament winner Barney signed it for me for the charity which was a price that raised €155. Yesterday in the post came a thank you letter to show some of the players, the newspaper cutting of the raffle etc,etc and the lodgement slip of the money for the O Reagan account so well done everyone on that. It was a huge cause and very much appreciated as every penny counts in a situation like that.

Alan Byrne rang me yesterday too. Alan is one of the head men in Dublin with darts as he runs all the winter/summer leagues and he too has a charity event coming up soon that will be well appreciated. Alan has great involvement in the Make a Wish Foundation and in October (no exact date yet)he is going to play one leg over a 16hour period for charity with anyone who wants to play having a few throws throughout. By my calculation a 16hourleg of amateur darts will mean probably one leg of 100,001 which should befun. It's a unique idea and one that is well worth it. Make a Wish foundation requires an average minimum of €5000 per wish to make these sick kids dreams become reality so if anyone needs a sponsorship card for this one please let me know. Some of the pro players might play in this providing it falls on a weekend that no tournament but I'll keep you updated on this when Alan informs me.

No comments: