Saturday, November 04, 2006

Some Crack

I had a right buzz this week when I heard and read that TG4 were televising the finals of the INDO version of the players trophy that is held throughout Ireland over a couple of months period starting today and leading into 2007. The INDO is the Irish sister organisation of the BDO and have got the idea of running a players tournament from the PDPA ( professional dart players association) which I mention nearly everyday.
I spoke to an INDO member last week at the World Grand Prix and this was pretty much our converstation.
Alan K: "Well **** How ya doing? Any News?" I was expecting not too bad Alan, How are you Alan, How is the missus Alan, How is work Alan since I saw you last or are ya having a pint Alan? But instead I got

"TG4 are televising the final of the players trophy"... I couldn't belive it and straight away knew like all other INDO/BDO members he was looking for brownie points or a crack off the PDC as I knew the only reason he was there was McCracken was INDO ranked number 3 and he was supporting him so I replied by saying

" So the INDO are now fluent in Irish as well are they?"
After this our conversation was non dart related which I respected.
I'd like to make one thing straight. Being involved in the PDC/PDPA I dont need to or dont want to get involved in slanging matches. If anyone from the INDO wants to stand toe to toe with me in front of thousands of people and debate the situation with me I'll glady and willingly do it so anything other than straight up honest facts I have no time for. You don't need to be simple to understand that. Although simple and Irish darts are getting married next week.
I was serious when I mentioned the fluent Irish comment too. I can picture it. Come home on probably a Tuesday afternoon, turn on TG4 and listen to some fella talk Irish. I unlike the INDO members can speak Irish so I can here the commentator going ...........
" Se deag dubailte dan bua....O Bhi se sin in aice laithreach! Ar an sreang mhistail! Ta na h-imreoiri seo ufasach ar fad" ( left the fadas out as e mail does not allow me to put them in)
TRANSLATION IN SHORT and may I add in short
Someone missed double 16 and are rubbish........Somes up an awful lot in my book.

All joking and sarcasm aside it is great to get TV exposure for any sport and I as I always say wanna promote this game so I say well done to the INDO for landing the TV coverage but here is the bit I like. A little birdy told me that the reason TG4 came on board to show these amateur darts is because Setanta got involved in the September Irish Open in Castlebar which is a PDC cat. 1 event. Once again I was was contacted directly on this one and KNOW this is the case.TV crews are so naive half of them don't know the conflict between PDC/BDO and rang me after going into google to dig out info on darts in Ireland. Lads if its INDO info you are after stay away from me as I think its cack. Unless Its SKY who know what they are at TV crews will always come sniffing before they broadcast anything and that applies especially in Ireland.

Anyway I'd like to thank himself at the Grand Prix for all that info. Great fun.
Just so you know while I write this I'm sitting in my hotel room in after the PDPA tournament in Scotland. I'm dying of flu and have been here since I arrived last night. Popped over for a few minutes and seen "The Magnet" Mick McGowan go to the final again only to lose to a guy who is a bit of a nemissis to him and new to darts exhibitions in January Adrian Lewis. I have no doubt in my mind Mick will rattle a few cages in the coming weeks and months and may I say here noe WILL be a top 32 players in the next 6 months.

Anyway lads good night and while you are having a night out I'll be tucked up in my Leaba or bed to those who don't understand Irish so Oiche Amaith

2 comments:

clive said...

Cant believe we even need to mention the bdo. I thought we are talking about professional darts. Lets leave the amateur stuff to the bbc.
We all know that the bdo is the place were some quality players start off and make a name for themselves. But at the end of the day its the pdc were these players meet there match; week in week out. C'mon Barney - good win in scotland at the weekend.
Signing off - tripe

Anonymous said...

Very interesting point in fairness. TG4 is hardly the station you want to promote the game. We need to understand what is being said and lets face it hardly anyone who plays darts can understand Irish let alone speak it. Great idea and great coop if in English but i'm afraid darts is not a game to be commented on in as gaelige......Efren Reyes